It was established by the Royal Decree No. 11, dated 03/25/1381 AH, and followed by Royal Decree No. 21 dated 04/16/1381 AH ratified by the Senior Advisory Council System for Universities. Studies began in it on Sunday, 2nd of Jumada Al-Akhirah in the same year.
On 18/05/1386 AH the Royal Decree No. M/18 for the approval of the university system was issued. Then another system was issued for the university in accordance with the Royal Decree No. M/70 dated 08/07/1395 AH.
This included that the Islamic University of Medina in Saudi Arabia is an international Islamic institution in its Goal and Saudi Arabian in affiliation. It identified the objectives as follows:
To convey the eternal message of Islam to the world through da wah, university education and graduate studies.
To inculcate Islamic spirit, develop and deepen practical religiosity in the life of the individual and society, based on dedication worship to Allah Alone and specifying followership to the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him.
To prepare scientific research, translate and publish them, and encourage such in the areas of Islamic and Arabic Sciences in particular, and other branches of science and human knowledge needed by the Muslim community in general.
To educate whosoever is admitted into it among Muslims students of knowledge from various parts; and shape scholars specialized in Islamic and Arabic Sciences, and scholars in the religion, equipped with science and knowledge that will prepare them for inviting people to Islam and resolve whatever problems the Muslims may face in their religion and worldly affairs, based on the guidance of the Quran, Sunnah and the practices of the righteous Ancestors .
Compilation of Islamic heritage, solicitude for its preservation, editing and publishing.
Establishing scientific and cultural ties with universities and scientific bodies and institutions in the world and strengthening it to serve Islam and achieve its objectives.
To be a beacon of distinct leading international Islamic knowledge in the sciences of Shari ah, Arabic and other fields of knowledge.
A Saudi educational institution with universal message, dealing with education, scientific research and community service in the sciences of Shari ah, Arabic language and other sciences with global standards and technologies and high-quality output contributing to spreading the eternal message of Islam from the city of the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) to serve the local and global community.
The Islamic University is committed to consolidating a set of values in all its activities and practice as follows:
· Expecting Allah s Reward: Staff of the university believe that rewarding their efforts is not limited to the earthly reward; instead they count on reward from Allah in services they offer university and community and counsel each other, being the head or subordinate, on what is in the interest of all.
· Universality: The University is committed to its global role in spreading the eternal message of Islam.
· Quality and Excellence: The University is committed to a system of quality based on the efficiency of inputs to ensure continuous excellence and improvement of performance and output.
· Moderation: The university is committed to the methodology of moderateness without excesses or negligence.
· Justice: The university is committed to achieving justice and equal opportunity and fair dealing.
· Partnership: The University is committed to providing opportunity for all beneficiaries to participate in decision-making and contribute to enabling the university perform its mission and achieve its objectives.
· Transparency: The University is committed to clarity and credibility in dealings relating to its general performance.;